Sunday, November 21, 2010

NaBloPoMo - Blog Post #21

"Praise the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary; praise him in his mighty heavens. Praise him for his acts of power; praise him for his surpassing greatness. Praise him with the sounding of the trumpet, praise him with the harp and lyre, praise him with tambourine and dancing, praise him with the strings and flute, praise him with the clash of cymbals, praise him with resounding cymbals. Let everything that has breath praise the LORD. Praise the LORD." - Psalm 150:1-6


This one goes out to every person who has ever complained about the music being "too loud" at church. (Just kidding...sort of). I particularly like this passage because it says to praise God with the flute, and being a flute player for over 17 years, this one is special to me. 
I'm pretty sure that this is the only place where we get actual direction on how to praise God (don't quote me on that, there may be others). But the impression that I get is that when we are praising God, it's supposed to be LOUD! Look at the instruments the Psalmist mentions: trumpet, harp, lyre, tambourine, strings, flute, cymbals (twice!). There's also dancing in there. As we've talked about already, God is so awesome, that I can't think of a better way to praise him for who he is than with awesome loud music! Now, praise is a little different from worship, although often the terms are used interchangeably. Worship involves so much more than music. You can worship God silently, you can worship God by serving him, you worship by following what it says in the bible, etc. Praising God mostly involves music. We can also praise God by speaking, but it most often is correlated with music. For me, I am a very musical person. God has given me many musical gifts that I use to praise his name. I play the flute, I play the bass guitar, and I sing. It is the best way I know how to praise God because I am playing and singing for him and to him. 
So, as I somewhat jokingly mentioned before, to all those who have ever complained that the music in church is too loud, or to much like a rock concert, I say, that is what it is supposed to sound like!! In fact, turn it up! Let everything that has breath praise the Lord!



No comments: