Friday, November 12, 2010

NaBloPoMo - Blog Post #12

"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight." - 1 Peter 3:3-4

In my old bible, I have this verse underlined with the word "Wow!" written next to the words "unfading beauty." 1 Peter 3 is one of those "wives submit to your husbands" passages, but these verses are so amazing, and I just love them. How many of us women are concerned with how we look every day? I confess that I have spent mornings just staring into my closet because I can't decide what I want to wear. I don't have a lot of jewelry, but the pieces that I have are very special to me, and I wear them often. And I don't know that I've ever worn an "elaborate hairstyle," but I have sure seen other women do it!
When I came across this verse, it put all of this into perspective (the bible has a knack for doing that!). I should not really care so much about what I look like on the outside, but that my inside is beautiful. I have met plenty of people who are beautiful on the outside, but inside they are very ugly. It's almost a shame when you meet someone like that because their outsides don't match their insides. Sometimes, I am like that, and I hate it. I try to think about this verse when I am doing something that makes my insides clash with my outside.
My favorite part of these verses is that it says a gentle and quiet spirit is of "great worth in God's sight." That is so amazing. God doesn't care what we look like on the outside, because after all, he made us in his image, so he knows it's perfect! God cares about our insides - our gentle and quiet spirits. Awesome.

No comments: