Saturday, November 20, 2010

NaBloPoMo - Blog Post #20

"My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one--I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me." - John 17:20-23


Just the mere fact that Jesus prayed for us before he was taken to the cross is awesome enough. But look at what his prayer is for us. Above all, he wants us to be ONE! He wants that so that others will believe in Jesus Christ. Think about that, if every believer in the whole world lived as one the way Jesus prayed for, how could anyone NOT believe in Jesus Christ? If we all lived the way God calls us to live in the bible, and we all lived in complete unity, no one could ever say that God isn't real and that there is no such thing as Jesus Christ.
Now, I understand that living in complete unity scares some of you. It would be close to impossible to live in complete unity. There are so many divisions of churches, so many versions of the bible, so many different teachings, there are even divisions within families! How could Jesus have prayed such an unrealistic expectation of us? But look at what he says, "I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one." If only we would spend our lives trying to give God the glory that we have been given, we would live in complete unity. The main reason there are so many divisions among us is because we spend too much time trying to give ourselves the glory, when God is the only one who deserves it. Think about what it would look like for you to give God the glory in everything you do. It doesn't sound easy, does it? But that is ultimately what we are called to do. If God gets all the glory, the divisions will fade away and we can live in complete unity because we are all obsessed with giving God the glory that is due to him.
Do you pray this prayer for your fellow believers? Is it your wish to live in complete unity with other Christians? It's hard, but how awesome it would be if Jesus' prayer for us was manifested in our lifetimes.

No comments: