Wednesday, November 26, 2008

A Salted Turkey


Last year, my mother and I tried a technique for cooking turkey that we had never tried before: brining. This is a technique wherein you soak the turkey in a seasoned broth so it soaks up all the nice flavors and makes for a moist turkey after it's done cooking. I must say it worked very well. The turkey was flavorful, juicy and tender. Altogether a hit.
This year, I am trying a new technique that is all the rage in Bon Appetit magazine: salting. Basically, you make a seasoned salt (mine had salt, pepper, bay leaves, thyme, rosemary, sage and lemon zest) and rub it all over the turkey, let the turkey sit overnight like that and then roast as usual. Apparently it makes for a nice crispy skin and a juicy tender meat.
I am always up for new challenges when it comes to cooking, so I hope this one proves to be a success. I will let you know how it turned out!

No comments: