Sunday, November 30, 2008

Adventures at Hot Dog Johnny's


Back at the beginning of the month, as you may recall, we took our youth group paintballing. On the way home, we were going to stop for something to eat. The choices were: Burger King (blegh), or Hot Dog Johnny's. Not knowing about the amazingness that is HDJ's, naturally the kids picked Burger King. So, as we sadly drove by HDJ's on the way to BK, I promised some of the kids that I would take them to HDJ's at another time.
Now, we tried all month to work that out, and it finally came together yesterday afternoon. Three girls: Becky, Alge and Erin met me at the church and we excitedly headed for HDJ's in Buttzville, NJ. That's right, Buttzville.
It was about a 45 minute ride, and we played the "punch-buggy" game, as well as a new game I had never heard of. You give one punch for every new state license plate you see. For example, if you see a New York plate, you give one punch to everyone in the car, and then if someone else sees a New York plate, they cannot punch again. You get the idea. We made the ride fun and short.

We finally made it to HDJ's in all it's glory. It was rather crowded, but we shuffled in and ordered our hot dogs. We also got Birch Beer floats, which were amazing. The hot dogs and french fries warmed our bellies as we basked in the hot dog glory. We were also sitting at the table that had a picture of Hot Dog Johnny himself. We were at the king's table. (Well, sort of)
All in all, it was a worthwhile experience. Lots of fun. Maybe next year after paintballing, we will be able to go there instead of yucky Burger King.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE hot dog johnnys.... soooo good, and it truly is out in the middle of nowhere. (Weird, but last time I was there, my next door neighbors just happened to be right in front of me in line.) I try to get there at least once a year! I'm so glad you discovered it an loved it! -Steph