Saturday, November 08, 2008

My Life as a Runner's Wife

My husband Evan occasionally runs in 5K races in our area, ranging from the Dunellen 5K run for education to the Draft Day 5K at Giant's Stadium. I try to go with him as often as I can. The Draft Day 5K is rough because it starts at 8am, and we live at least 30 minutes away. Most races start at 9am, which is nice. The races are all generally the same. They usually give away t-shirts and sometimes a goody bag with pens, and other random trinkets. They always have doughnuts and coffee and water for the runners. When it's time, the gun goes off and so do the runners. Evan gets very serious when it comes to the races. He wears special racing shoes, a racing outfit complete with short-shorts. (Ooh la la!)
I love to go with him to the races. I usually take pictures of him running, and have got some pretty good action shots over the years. I just love to be there at the finish line when he comes in. He typically runs the race between 19 and 21 minutes, which I think is good. Much better than I can do, which is why I take pictures. Karl sometimes comes with us, and I take pictures of him too. Once in a while, we get one of the men from our church to run. Our friend Mike Heffernan ran in the Columbia Park 5K, and did really good! Our other friend Tony Schatz ran in the Watchung 5K, slowly, but he made it to the finish line!
It's a lot of fun going to races with Evan. He usually wins 1st place in his age group. I'm just waiting for the day when he wins 1st place overall!!
Go baby go...

No comments: