Friday, December 12, 2008

Passed Over - This has nothing to do with Easter

I just got a phone call from my boss telling me that she had some exciting news and she thought that I would be excited about it too. When I get a phone call from my boss saying things like that, I get very excited because it usually is good news. Last time I got a call like that, I got asked to make the presentation about my trip to Mexico in front of all my colleagues. So naturally, I was excited.
Then she laid it on me - my co-worker (and professional "other-half") has been promoted to "Product Team Supervisor." She is now my boss. Along with two of my other colleagues. Don't get me wrong, I like her as a person. But now that she will be my boss, our relationship will be different. She is the type of person who loves to impress people. She loves the spotlight to be on her. She loves management to be watching her and seeing "what a good job she's doing." I don't like working with people like that. It makes the rest of us look bad. We are a team and should work as such.
My boss asked me how I felt (I'm sure she could hear in my voice that I was not cool with this decision). I reluctantly told her that I was OK and that it would be good. I lied. But I went on to say that I feel that I would like to eventually get away from what I do now to move on to other things where I feel more comfortable and most confident. She accepted that...good.
It was clear, also, that I was not even a consideration for this position. I am not happy right now.

I'll just keep saying it: Greater things have yet to come.

No comments: