Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Praise God!....But not like that.


Since when have Christians become so objective about the way other Christians worship? If I want to hold out my hands, then I should be able to do so without thinking, "Gee, I hope the guy behind me doesn't think I look stupid." If one wants to jump around while playing in the church worship band, then so be it. How dare anybody tell you to do otherwise. 
I've been learning about this concept of "genuine worship." Basically, however you choose to worship God, you should mean it. It should be genuine. You shouldn't lift up your hands so the guy behind you thinks, "Wow, she must really love God!" You should lift up your hands because that's the way you want to worship the Lord. 
Last time I checked, this was a free country, and I'm pretty sure that the bible is explicit on the different ways to worship. (Here's where I direct you to Psalm 150 for some examples.) Nowhere in the bible does it say, "Praise God with a stiff upper lip. Praise Him with hardly any excitement. And, rebuke those who do otherwise." 
This is GOD we are talking about. You know, He sent His only son to die for the sins of the world. And, if we ask Him into our hearts, we are free from sin and death! Why wouldn't you want to jump up and down and clap and dance and sing loud??? And why should anyone feel so inclined to try and hinder you from that kind of worship? I agree that everyone has their own "style" of worship, but it is not within anyone's rights to tell others how they should worship. 

And that's my soapbox for the day.

No comments: