Friday, September 05, 2008

Opening Day!!


My favorite time of the year - football season has begun. As season ticket holders for the NY Giants (2007 season Superbowl Champs!), I always go to the home opener. This year they were playing the Washington Redskins. The Giants were pretty much guaranteed the win.
I love the first game of the season. I took my best friend Karl to this game since it was his birthday. I don't love parking at the stadium because even with a pre-paid parking pass, we still had to park in east bumble-dorf. But I just love the smell of tailgate parties and the fans all pumped up, ready for game-time. I love getting into the stadium, and walking through the concourse to get to our seats. My favorite part is when we reach our section, and you come out of the little tunnel and you can finally see the field. The grass is nice and green, untouched yet by any cleats or a pile of defensive linemen trying to sack the QB. The players are usually warming up on the field and there is usually some crappy rap song echoing through the stadium. And then we finally get to our seats. Section 306, seats 24 + 25. 
It may be the upper deck, but we get a pretty good view from up there. I take it all in. My seat welcomes me back from a long summer. Little by little, everyone shuffles in, already sauced of course (not me!). Fans trying desperately to defend their manhood hollering "LET'S GO GIANTS!!!" as they climb the stairs to the top of the stadium. Recognizable faces join me in the section surrounding our seats. Like a happy, drunken reunion. 
This game was special, not only because it was opening day, but because these were the defending SUPERBOWL CHAMPS!!! They brought in a big float shaped like the Lombardi Trophy, and they let off some pyrotechnics while out popped Michael Strahan from inside the float holding the real Lombardi Trophy. He gave a short, yet impressive pre-game speech mentioning how NY fans are "by far the best fans in the NFL!" Finishing with a resounding "Now let's STOMP 'EM OUT!!" 
Here we go, kickoff. Giants win the coin toss, they will receive. Duh. Redskins kickoff, Giants bring the ball back. Took a few drives, but finally - TOUCHDOWN! It has officially begun. 
Giants played a good first quarter, a lousy rest of the game, but go on to win it 16-7. 
LET'S GO GIANTS!!! See you guys next week in St. Louis!

I love this game....

No comments: