Monday, September 15, 2008

How Awesome God is

Back in July, Evan and I along with 11 of our friends from church were given the great opportunity to go on a mission trip to Tijuana, Mexico. We were sent down to build a house for a family with less-than-adequate accommodations for themselves. We're not talkin' mansions here, just a simple 11X22 one-room house. But to our Mexican family, it was more than they will ever have. The experience was something I will never forget. (If you want to hear all about it, you will just have to contact me!)
When I got back to the U.S., I was reluctant to go back to "the old grind" because I knew that God designed us for so much more. How can I carry out God's work sitting in a cubicle all day? Much to my chagrin, I headed back to work. I began to feel a bit forlorn, but I knew that God had brought me to my job for a reason, and maybe I just needed to listen better to find out what that was.
A month of two went by, I got back into the normal routine, and had almost forgotten about Mexico. I was in the middle of some busy-work when my phone rang. My desk phone rarely rings, so I was a bit surprised. I was even more surprised when I heard my boss's boss Donna on the other line. Am I in trouble? Does she sound mad? What is this about? Well, here's how the conversation went down:
Donna: Hi Aubrey, how are you?
Me (nervous): Fine Donna! How are you?
Donna: OK, I just had a quick question for you.
Me: Ok, what's up?
Donna: As you know, we are having our department All Hands meeting in October.
Me: Yep.
Donna: Do you remember last year, how Samantha from facilities did a presentation on her trip to New Orleans with Habitat for Humanity?
Me: Oh yeah, I do remember!
Donna: Well, Dick (our department head) likes to feature IEEE employees that have done volunteer work, and he was asking about you and your trip to Mexico. (Pause) Would you be interested in doing a presentation for the meeting about your trip?
Me (Nearly squealing): Really? Oh wow, I would be honored!
The conversation continued with more detail, but you get the idea by now.

This was it, this was why God brought me to IEEE! I do my presentation on October 2nd, purely by the grace of God. It's great to be able to relive the Mexico experience even months after it happened. God is making an impact everywhere - keep your eyes open!!
God is good, all the time. And all the time, God is good.

1 comment:

Beth said...

That is pretty sweet Aubrey. And funny that I posted yesterday on my blog about God's awesomeness.

He truly is the greatest.

I'll be praying for you as you prepare and give your presentation.