Tuesday, October 07, 2008

I did it!!

I woke up last Thursday morning with a nervous tummy. Today was the day. In 4 hours, I would give my presentation to the entire Business Administration staff at IEEE - which is something like 200 people.
I got myself ready, suited up, and headed for work. I barely had time to even turn on my computer, let alone try to prepare for the presentation. I quickly grabbed my speech printout, and headed down to the conference room.
The moderators were there, ready to get everything started. I looked at the clock, and realized that the meeting would start at 8:30, and I wouldn't go on until 11:30 or later. I had 3 hours to sit there and stew in my nervousness. Great.
So, one by one, my colleagues got up and spoke with not a hint of nerves in their voices. All the while, my supervisor sitting behind me telling me that everything would be fine. Easy for her to say - she doesn't have to get up there.
We took a break in the middle, and somehow I had managed to choke down 1/4 of a bagel. I had six more people to go, and then it was me. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...it was my turn. I took a deep breath and had at it. I introduced myself and my portion of the presentation. I could feel myself shaking. Thankfully, my power point was set to run itself, and all I had to do was talk about the pictures every now and again. The nervousness gradually subsided and before I knew it, I was finished. I soaked in the applause and took my seat.
The head of Business Administration got up, and before I could get comfortable, he was thanking me for my presentation and handed me a Hess gift card to show his appreciation. $50 worth of gas for free...ok by me!
The real fun started after the presentation was over. People approached me and told me what a great job I did, and people also gave me their business cards and expressed interest in donating to next year's Mexico trip. Another person e-mailed me and told me they would like to do a feature story about my trip to Mexico and have it posted to be viewed around the world!
I couldn't believe it. 15 minutes in front of 200 people, and God is still working through this Mexico trip. God is moving in ways I never imagined possible. I never thought in a million years that I would be telling my colleagues about a mission trip. I also never thought that I would be shooting the breeze with the head of Business Administration.
God is truly awesome. He never stops working - and neither should we.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Yay for God, and yay for you! What a great day. I'm so happy for you and proud of you. It's so exciting to see God working in such a big way in your life. You're my hero of the day. ;)