Tuesday, January 13, 2009

This Is Your Life!

This past Sunday I had a rare opportunity. Not only did I get the chance to go see the Giants get humiliated by the Eagles in the playoffs, but I also shared my testimony with the students at youth group that night.
Now I'm not just talking about the moment I got saved. I was three when that happened, so it's pretty unexciting as far as storytelling goes. I'm talking about my WHOLE story, from the moment I got saved when I was three to this moment right now. I ended up with about 5 pages worth of stuff I wanted to tell them about. Can I just tell you, it was amazing.
I started by telling them that they really needed to listen and sit there quietly because not only is my story true, it's very important to me and I really wanted them to get every bit of it. Boy, did they listen. That was the first time in youth group history that every single student had their mouths shut and their eyes on the speaker. I told them the whole story. (If you want to know more, just ask me - I'm not exactly comfortable posting every detail here.) The response I got was so incredible. They gave me a standing O. Most, if not all of the students gave me a hug afterwards. One student even approached me and said, "You know, of all the talks we've heard at youth group, that was the first time I actually felt the presence of God." WOW! That's probably the best compliment EVER! At some point in the talk, God totally took over. It wasn't me at all. I was saying things that I couldn't possibly have come up with on my own.
I drove the point home by telling the story of the prodigal son. It says that not only was the son's father waiting for him to come home, but when he saw him, he RAN to go meet him. He was so happy that his son had returned that he threw a party for him. He said, "My son was lost, and he has returned." That's how God reacted when I came back. Isn't that cool?? I wish I could share my story over and over again with the students, but God has planted the seed with those that were there to hear it. It was an incredible experience, and I thank GOD that He gave me the opportunity to share it.
AMEN!!!

1 comment:

Beth said...

Amen, indeed! I love when God uses us in ways like that. And good for you for being willing to share so much of yourself with high schoolers - possibly one of the more judgemental age groups out there. :)