Sunday, June 21, 2009

Last night, we had a concert at our church down in "The Cellar" which is basically the venue where all our youth hang out. This concert was definitely going to rock. We had five bands lined up, along with two solo acts, and two stages. One stage for the more acoustic sounding bands, and the main stage for the heavier stuff. And let me tell you, did it rock. We heard music all the way from laid-back guitar strumming to head banging, mosh-pit starting chaos.
But amid all the music, I was struck by something that I usually take for granted. My ex-boyfriend, and now very good friend John was standing on the stage performing some songs. He was on the "acoustic" stage, and as he was singing, something hit me like a wave of hot water. I was listening to the words, and thinking about the past. I was almost brought to tears as I thought, I never thought I would see the day when John would be performing praise and worship songs to our God. And I never thought that I would be there listening to it. John even read a poem he had written about his past and what God has done in his life. I found myself really relating to it, as I was a big part of his past life.
If you know anything about my past, you know that John and I were far from God during our relationship. So far away, that I didn't think we could ever come back. But that's not how God operates. God welcomes us back with open arms and the angels in heaven rejoice when we come back.

Then, later that evening, Evan got up to sing some songs. While Evan was singing, that same wave came over me again. Not only was I getting to see my ex-boyfriend praise the Lord, but I was getting to see my husband do it too. I felt so thankful for everything that God has done in our lives. Evan and I have been together for almost 8 years, and God has brought us through a lot together. I felt thankful for how God has worked in John's life. I have seen him go from your typical "wild child" to a God-fearing man who I am proud to have as my friend.

Skeptics often want proof that God exists. They don't understand the concept of faith, or believing in something you can't see, feel, or hear. You want proof? Look at me. Look at Evan. Look at John. Look at every person that genuinely calls themselves a Christian and truly believes that Jesus Christ has saved them from their sin. God transforms those lives. God spoke to me last night at that concert. He said very succinctly and very simply, "See what I can do?"
I challenge you to go see for yourself...

No comments: