Monday, December 20, 2010

Reflections on 2010

I think I probably say this every year, but this year absolutely flew by. I feel like I just took a deep breath, and just like that, the year is coming to an end in only a few short days. It just goes to show you that you have to make every moment count because before you know it, it's gone.
And so, that being said, I'd like to recap some of my favorite moments of the year 2010.

In no particular order, they are:
1) My nephew Michael being born.
My sister-in-law and brother-in-law went through a lot before they finally got pregnant with Michael. Heck, they were told they couldn't even get pregnant in the first place! When he finally came, the whole family was overjoyed. Kelly looked so radiant during her last month of pregancy, and I was so proud to finally be an aunt of possibly the cutest baby I have ever seen.
2) Becoming a First Responder.
My job offered me the opportunity to become a first responder at the office. Of course I accepted. Growing up with a mom who is a nurse - it's just naturally in my blood. The course was great. And even doubly so because I am able to use my skills in other places besides work. I even initiated a first aid/CPR course to be taught at my church for all the leaders in children and youth ministry! Luckily, I haven't yet seen anything to gross for me to handle, but at least I'll know what to do if that day ever comes.

3) Soup Suppers
This was the year I finally got to showcase my cream of turkey soup. (Want the recipe? Here you go.) People went crazy for it! They started begging me to make it week after week. Thankfully it's relatively easy and cheap to make!

4) 30 Hour Famine
I love the 30 Hour Famine. This year, I set out to make it my "baby." I let the other youth leaders know that I would take charge and organize everything. It was a total success, and the students loved it too. The Famine really puts things into perspective and really makes you appreciate simple things like food, water, and clothing. This year, we made it not only eye-opening as far as world hunger goes, but also on the spiritual level. We stepped it up a bit and made the worship very intentional, and even had a separate prayer room for those students who were interested. It was great, and I can't wait 'till next year's Famine!

5) Celebrating 5 years of marriage with Evan.
Words cannot express just how much I love Evan. He is my soulmate. Being married for five years has taught me so much, and I cannot think of anyone else I would have rather spent the rest of my life with.

6) Getting to actually meet Michael.
Like I said, I was so excited to finally be an aunt (I don't know why, but I've always wanted to be an aunt)! It was even better when I got to hold my nephew for the first time, and kiss him and hug him and love him! He was so cute, and I had the best time with Kelly and Christian. I miss them so much!

7) The 84th(?) Fleisher Family Reunion
It may surprise some of you to see this on the list, because most of the time, I dread the family reunion. Not because I don't enjoy seeing my family, but because if I don't go, I will hear about it from my aunt until the next one. This year's family party was at my aunt and uncle's house in Flemigton so it was nice and close. We had a really good time. They have a pool, so of course I had to go in. And the whole time, I was playing with my little cousin Savannah, and she kept calling me "best friend." It was great. I got to see relatives I haven't seen in ages, and it was just a great time all around. (Here's us chatting with Grandma Fleisher, Brad & Tina and my cousins).
8) Meeting the O.C. Supertones
For those of you who don't know the Supertones...what's wrong with you?? Just kidding. They are one of my favorite bands of all time, and this year at RevGen, they were playing, and I got to meet them. It was out of control. (The picture is a little blurry because there was a lot of dust in the air).
9) First Giant's game at the new stadium.
I always go to the Giants home opener at the start of football season. This year, we had a new home in the form of a huge new stadium. It was beautiful. Not only that, but we had different seats as well. In the old stadium, we were in section 306, up in the nosebleeds. Now, we are in section 126 (or something), which is field level. Right behind the end zone. Awesome.

10) Corn Maze trip at Etsch Farms
This was something I was looking forward to all year. We found this place online, and their corn maze was epic. It's shaped like Mount Rushmore, so you try to find your way through the president's heads. It was really cool. We didn't have a huge group of students, so it was nice for us considering the only two leaders were me and Karl! This was a lot of fun.

11) Thanksgiving
Duh. I made the biggest turkey I've ever made this year: 20 pounds (for 6 people!). Everything was delicious, and I really enjoyed having my family at our house for dinner. It's no wonder it's my favorite holiday!!

12) IEEE Holiday Party
I am on the party planning team where I work, and man oh man did we throw a spectacular party this year. We held it at a restaurant in Edison called "LouCas" (if you've never been, I highly recommend it). But, during the lunch, we also had a murder mystery team builder going on. We played a real-life game of Clue, and the actors we hired were amazing. They were so funny and we were literally crying with laughter. I didn't hear one complaint from anyone and everyone was smiling at the end. It was a great way to kick off the holiday season. I just don't know how we're going to top it next year!!

2010 has been a great year. I can't wait to see what 2011 has in store!!

No comments: