Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Gets me every time...

One of my favorite things about the Christmas season is all the Christmas specials that come on (Rudolph, The Grinch, Frosty, etc.) I do my best to catch all of them when they are on, and they bring back such good memories of my childhood, and nine times out of ten they always make me cry. Not because I'm sad, but nostalgia always gets to me.

But the one that gets me the most is "A Charlie Brown Christmas". It's my favorite of all the Christmas shows, and it makes me cry every time. Why? This right here:



It's the only Christmas special that tells the true meaning of Christmas, and that is Jesus Christ being born into the world. In fact, I read somewhere that when it was created back in 1965, it almost didn't air because producers were afraid of the controversy the message might cause. According to IMDb.com: "Bill Melendez tried to talk Charles M. Schulz out of using Biblical references (especially Linus's speech) in this special. Schulz reportedly won him over by saying, "If we don't do it, who will?" As it turned out, Linus' recitation was hailed as one of the most powerful moments in the highly acclaimed special."
And that, friends and family, is why the Charlie Brown Christmas special makes me cry...every year.

Merry Christmas!

No comments: