Thursday, September 03, 2009

What The....?

As a youth leader, I am exposed to many many things that quite frankly, I would rather not be exposed to. But it comes with the territory, and I love my job as a youth leader, so I grin and bear it.
But recently, a new "phrase" has come on the scene in the form of an abbreviation known as "FML."
FML stands for F*** My Life. Students use this phrase when they are frustrated, angry, upset, or generally ticked off at something. You will mostly find it posted on their Facebook, MySpace, or Twitter pages. Something perhaps to the effect of: "Had to walk to school in the rain today. FML." "My boyfriend broke up with me. FML." "Mom made me clean up my room. FML." You get the idea.
Now, as a youth leader and as a Christian, I don't like the idea of my students using such words and phrases to describe how they're feeling. It's ok that they are upset or angry about something, but to sum it all up with "FML," to me, is a bit extreme and rather silly.
What I see is that students will use this phrase when things generally don't go their way. This seems to be the norm amongst students these days. What I am also seeing is that when things don't go their way, they quit or run away. Something got too hard? I quit. Getting too frustrated with something? I don't want to do it anymore. Things didn't work out as you planned? FML.
And there you have it. All of life's frustrations summed up in three little letters.

What really upsets me about the usage of this phrase is that it is being used by students who regularly attend either church or our youth group program. At church and at youth group, they are taught solid biblical principles that can be applied to their everyday lives. We try really hard as leaders to drill the points home and to challenge them to step up their faith at home, at school, wherever they are. We try to remind them that God is there for them no matter what, and even when they don't know where to turn, they can turn to God.
When we see things like FML being used by these students, it kind of deflates us because it feels like our words are falling on deaf ears. Rather than saying, "Had a bad day today, but God is good!" they resort to FML as though their life were falling apart at the seams just because something didn't go their way.
Do they even get it? Do they even realize that there is a gracious and loving God just waiting for them to come running to His arms? Do they realize that even if their life really is falling apart, that God is right there to put them back together? Do they just see it as the latest "cool" thing to do on Facebook?
Maybe I should just wait it out, because sooner or later, something else will come along, and FML will be DOA. Haha.

1 comment:

Svenn said...

Good post Aubrey, Im glad to see that the youth have a caring leader that can identify with them and be concerned about their behavior-even on the web or through text/twitter.

I like to use FTL, which I picked up through online gaming. FTL or For the Loss- just seems funny to me and is not offensive/ less overly dramatic than FML. But that's niether here nor there I guess.

Anyways, we miss you guys.

cuz-in-law