Friday, August 20, 2010

What's Mine is Yours....or is it?

Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. Matthew 6:19-20

I recently had a conversation with a coworker about having kids, which morphed into a conversation about having someone to whom you can pass your stuff and your money to when you pass away (i.e. your kids). We were talking about having kids vs. not having kids, and she said something to the effect of, "I like to know that I have someone that I can pass on my things to when I die, and that it doesn't go to just anyone, like my next closest relative or something." She then asked me if I agreed.
I immediately answered, "I really don't care. When I'm gone, I'm gone, I really don't care what happens to my stuff. It's just stuff anyway - even the money."
She seemed a little taken aback by my response. Nevermind that she was trying to convince me to have kids, I think she was shocked that I would have such a blasé attitude about my stuff. While I didn't get a chance to get into a whole spiritual discussion with her, I tried to explain that stuff is just stuff. I can't take it with me when I die, and when I do die, I'm not going to care either way who gets my stuff because, well, I'll be dead and partying with Jesus up in Heaven!
She then replied, "Yeah, I know it's just stuff, but it has memories attached to it." To that I said, "The memories are in your heart and in your head. Even if that thing that has the memory is gone, the memory is still within you." Now, I know a lot of people like that sentimental value that certain items have, and I do too, to an extent. There are things that I have saved from my past because they are tied to a nice memory, or someone gave it to me as a gift and I don't have the heart to throw it out or give it away. But in the end, what is it really worth? Will my life be any worse if I were to give those things away, or throw them out? There are plenty of things I have thrown out over the years that had great memories attached to them, but I do not wake up every day regretting that I ever got rid of them. Life goes on, and I am not ruled by my stuff. In fact, Evan and I are getting rid of a lot of our stuff (DVD's and CD's especially), because we realized that we don't need them. Sometimes what we will do is sell the DVDs and CDs back to a store or on Amazon, and then give the money we get to someone else who needs it. We're not trying to brag, we are just doing what the bible says: "If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him?" - 1 John 3:17 and "Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need." - Acts 2:45
Stuff is just stuff. There are so many people in the world who hardly have anything, so who are we to worry about where our stuff will end up when we are gone? I have more in my cubicle at work than some people have altogether. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that having stuff is bad, but I am saying that ultimately Jesus is all we will ever need. There are people who have literally risked their lives just to have more of Jesus. There are people who have died because of their belief in Jesus. Do you think those people are concerned about stuff? I doubt it.

Heavenly Father, I pray that we would all recognize that our stuff is just stuff. I pray that we would realize that YOU are all we need to survive, and that you provide for us everything that we need. You have said that we are much more precious and valuable than the birds of the air, and yet even they are not worried about food, clothing or shelter. Thank you for all that you give to us, and thank you for the opportunities to help those who are in need. In your most holy and precious name, amen.

No comments: